The only thing better than cooking a delicious meal, is not having to clean up said delicious meal. I am guilty of tearing apart the kitchen when I’m cooking to the point where you can’t even see the countertop. This always backfires because trying to get up and clean with a stomach full of food is nearly impossible.
That’s why I am bringing you this EASY one pan chicken succotash!
Succotash is a traditional southern side filled with corn, peppers, lima beans, bacon and cream. I am a huge fan of the traditional recipe, however, I wanted to lighten it up a little. In the recipe, I omit the bacon and the cream making room for extra vegetables. I’m starting to think I should have made my blog all about how to eat more vegetables because I feel like I am always talking about sneaking them into dishes. But seriously, go crazy with the vegetables here. I also love serving this over brown rice, or mashed potatoes if you’re feeling a little dangerous.
The chicken in this recipe will take about 30 minutes to cook, but I always leave it in for an extra 15 minutes if I have the time. The longer it cooks in the sauce, the more juicy and tender it will be. But don’t skimp on the browning process. Getting a nice golden color on the chicken means that it will have tons of flavor (and will also help it cook faster).
I used a yellow and orange bell peppers because they were on sale, but I have also used green peppers in the past which I think is delicious too. Whatever you have on hand will work just fine in this recipe. You could even add zucchini or spinach to pack in even more greens. Make it your own!
After you cook up all the veggies, the hard work is done! All you have to do from there is lay the chicken back into the pan and cook in the oven. Now I say 30-45 minutes in the recipe because it takes a minimum of 30 minutes to cook through. However, I like to let this go for 45 minutes to an hour sometimes. If I’m not hungry yet (or it’s the weekend and I have a little extra time) I like to let this cook for awhile because it’s only going to get even better!
This dish is a little sweet, a little spicy and extremely comforting. My favorite kind of meal is one that is healthy while also being hearty. This is the epitome of a healthy, hearty meal and I can’t wait for you to try it!
You Will Need
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 jalapeno (use more or less depending on spice tolerance)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen lima beans
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Season chicken breasts and sear them on both sides until golden brown
- Remove chicken from the pan and set aside
- Add chopped onion, peppers, jalapeño and garlic to the pan and cook until vegetables are soft (approx. 10-15 minutes)
- Add chicken back into the pan with canned tomatoes, corn, and lima beans
- Cover the pan with a lid and finish in the oven for 30-45 minutes (longer you cook, the more tender the chicken will be)
- Finish the sauce off with milk to make it slightly creamy
- Enjoy over rice, potatoes or on its own!