Let’s talk spaghetti squash. This vegetable has taken over my social media feeds and now my heart. A squash that turns into pasta? Not really. But a squash that has a delicious flavor and awesome texture that resembles pasta? Absolutely.
Not everyone loves spending hours in the kitchen cooking elaborate meals like I do (in fact I don’t even love that sometimes). This is one of those recipes that you eat when you want something hot, delicious and rich tasting that is not going to make you feel heavy or weighed down. While I love indulging in pasta covered in bolognese, my body always regrets it.
Spaghetti squash was never one of my staple meals, but after eating this I’m wondering why I never made this apart of my weekly routine. If you watch my Instagram stories (@the.caffeinated.cook), you will see that I cook for my boyfriend a lot. He isn’t exactly 100 percent on board with all of my crazy health obsessions, but he is always willing to try it. So when he really enjoys something, like this spaghetti squash, you know it’s good. In fact, he said he couldn’t even really taste the squash and it just tasted like a regular pasta dish. Score! So if there are any skeptics out there about some of these health trends, I think this one will be a hit!
I also like to add some real spaghetti noodles to my squash. You can skip this step if you are gluten-free or carb-conscious (I am neither of those things). I just think that this makes the meal more satisfying, filling and doesn’t leave me running for late night fries. This way you also get that perfectly balanced meal of protein, vegetables and carbs all in one! Now enough talking, let’s make this shall we.
You will need:
1 spaghetti squash
1 package ground turkey
1 jar of store bought tomato sauce
- Microwave spaghetti squash for 5 minutes (makes it easier to cut)
- Cut in half and roast the spaghetti side down at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes
- While the squash is roasting, brown turkey in a pan and add a jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- Allow the sauce to simmer on low until the squash is cooked
- OPTIONAL: cook spaghetti noodles (amount based on preference)
- Take the squash out and scrape up the meat of the squash with a fork
- Add spaghetti noodles and sauce on top