The weather in Blacksburg, VA has been feeling like springtime and what better way to celebrate than with a BBQ chicken pizza! Something about BBQ just screams warm weather to me. Of course, as Virginia weather would have it, I’m now writing this in my parka watching the snow fall, but let’s stay in this warm weather fantasy for a little bit longer shall we.
I love pizza, but sometimes it doesn’t love me back. After eating a few slices piled with cheese and thick crust, I feel sluggish and weighed down. As much as I love this delectable treat, I always wonder if it’s worth feeling bad for the 5 hours after you eat it. This pizza, however, is light on cheese, has crispy crust and is packed with protein. The chicken is tangy, slightly spicy and the cilantro makes the whole thing come together. I made my chicken in the slow cooker (are you surprised) but you can easily buy a rotisserie chicken, shred it and mix it with the sauce. I am not ashamed to say that I ate a whole pizza to myself and I enjoyed every bite. Not to mention, I felt satisfied without feeling like I needed to go for a 3 mile walk just to feel functional again. This recipe is a must try!
Before I get into how to make this delicious pizza, I have a confession to make. I’m horrible at writing down recipes. When I cook, I just throw things together and somehow it all comes together. I learned how to cook from my mom and she never follows a recipe. I like having fun with food, trying different things and adding ingredients as I go. I always get stumped when I have to turn my food into an actual recipe that people can follow along with. However, I am really working on it (because how can you be a food blogger without recipes)! I bought a handy notebook that I am using to write down every step I do as I’m doing it. But I highly HIGHLY encourage you have fun in the kitchen and make things your own! A lot of my recipes are hard to mess up. I use a lot of forgiving ingredients where you don’t need to measure things exactly to get great results. I would also appreciate any recipe writing recommendations you might have in order to make them easier to read. Thank you if you’ve read this far, now back to the recipe!
You Will Need:
- 2 large chicken breasts (OR shredded rotisserie chicken)
- 3 cups of BBQ sauce (I used a sweet/spicy sauce)
- Naan bread (this recipe will make about 2-3 pizzas depending on the size of the bread)
- Mozzarella cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Red onion
- Place chicken in slow cooker with 2 cups of sauce (OR use the non-slow cooker method: shred rotisserie chicken, add 1/2 cup of sauce and mix)
- Cook chicken on low for 4 hours or high for 6 hours
- Remove chicken from sauce, shred, and mix some of the remaining sauce back into the chicken (I mixed in about 1/4 cup of the sauce back into the chicken)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place Naan bread in the oven for 5-10 minutes to allow it to become crisp
- Remove naan bread from the oven and spread and even layer of BBQ sauce over the bread (about 1/2 cup per crust)
- Top with generous layer of chicken, cheese, and thinly sliced red onion
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is crispy
- Top with cilantro (add a ranch drizzle if you’re feeling fancy) and enjoy!